Greek Kale Salad, perhaps?

Remember your first one?
It's that time of year when magazines and non-profits and Chambers of Commerce release their rankings of colleges or coffee chains or "most liveable cities" or "best places to retire if you're a white supremacist".
Today it was the Top 50 Casual Dining Restaurants in America according to "loyalty", which means absolutely nothing to me (I mean, I understand the word loyalty, I just don't know how to properly measure it at a restaurant, other than in dollar amounts).  Foursquare, the company behind this "I'm 10, and these are my favorite movies ever" exercise, utilized some invented rating system involving four metrics (whenever I see the word "metric" appearing in something other than a scientific, peer-reviewed paper, I replace it with the word "dog turd", because invariably what follows is going to smell bad, be an embarrassment if discovered by guests, and require an unnecessary investment of time (generally related to clean-up or additional visits to a therapist) to purge from memory).

I've never heard of, much less eaten at, "Beef O' Brady's" (it sounds like something you'd throw up after a regrettable night stuck with hard-drinking relatives at an Irish pub), so my loyalty to it would be something less than the cube root of negative infinity, but it is somewhat enjoyable examining this list, and their earlier list of Top 50 Quick Food Chains (again ranked by loyalty, which could mean how loyal these companies were at submitting bribe money to Foursqaure), mostly to suffer the shame of recognizing how often you frequent them.
The Coffee Bean is the only one I can disavow, although I've seen them
But my problem after looking at these lists is:  How does this reflect which ones are actually the most successful, as far as total sales or number of franchises or revenue/unit?  And that is why I really prefer this chart for fast food, because it answers all of those questions, plus gives me a roadmap of what to avoid from today going forward.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Hostiles

Johanna writes

Okay so I'll say it