Was the Trail told to stand down on this story?

Takes a car over a 200-foot embankment without skid marks, then treks a mile to fall into a river?
How is it that the Coloradoan, an hour away from Estes Park, is able to dispatch a reporter to walk from where the car was found to where the body was found?  Do we not have any reporters in town capable of walking this route? 
Seems like it would have been a lot easier for the Trail to cover this story from the beginning, or at least play catch-up, instead of reprinting press releases from the sheriff's department.  And hey, Estes Park residents, some of this is on you as well.  Are you so bored by reports of 20-year-olds being found in the Big Thompson River you have moved on to speculating when the Sugar Shack is going to open? 
If I was going to take my life and failed after throwing myself and my car off a 200-foot embankment, I would probably think God wasn't ready for me yet and call it a day.  To then gather myself up and walk a mile in the snow to launch myself in a rushing stream would show incredible determination, especially when I had shown very little evidence leading up to this of wanting so powerfully to kill myself.
But hey, what do I know.  I just live here.  We cede all our news gathering and all our thinking to outside entities, because we are just too dumb to do anything besides nod our heads when we are given a set of facts that don't mesh.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next body that turns up in the Big Thompson is termed a shocking coincidence, with the third a crazy "who could have predicted?"
It's not like we always think the best of people.  We just don't think.  Estes Park's welcome sign (the one where vehicles leave the road with no witnesses and no skid marks) should be replaced with a crudely lettered billboard that says "Welcome to Estes Park, where we all drink rather than think.  Feel free to play foul here, cuz we're too stupid to notice or care"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Hostiles

Johanna writes

Okay so I'll say it