Well in Estes Park, we blame F.O. Stanley

Exile in Whiteville (this is actually Reno, Nevada, but could easily double for Lake Estes)
When Monserrat A. Matehuala worked for Eagle Rock school in Estes Park, Colorado, she'd regularly drive an hour outside town to visit a small, family-owned restaurant that served Mexican food.  As one of a few people of color living in Estes Park, she craved time surrounded by people who spoke Spanish and danced to her kind of music.  "That was my self-care back then," Matehuala told me.  "As an outdoor educator, it's hard for me to bring in that cultural part of my identity, which is so important for myself and my survival."  For many people of color who love the outdoors, this story is familiar.  Often, the areas most famously known for their natural beauty and access to outdoor recreation are also the country's least diverse...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Hostiles

Johanna writes

Okay so I'll say it